Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chinese Brocolli, Delish!

I'm a meateater at heart, but recently I've been learning how to cook various kinds of veggies and I gotta say, I don't think I could do dinner without em. Incidentally, these are Fiancee's favorite greens ever since he started eating more Chinese, so yeah, I'm goin in for every brownie point I can get!

I don't know if you can get these in American supermarkets, not that I've seen anyway. But you can buy a bag of these at Chinese markets, which feeds about 3-4 people. You'll have to chop the heads off the stem. One way you can check if the stems are too old (therefore too chewy and fibery) is by looking at the bottoms of the stems. If you see a lot of dryness and white, rather than of greenish clear, then cut that part out and toss it.  If you find some withering, yellow, and even mushy looking leaves, trash those also.We want the good stuff. Oh, and if you want to pinch off the flowers at the top, feel free. Personally I like to munch on em (after they've been cooked), but they are a tiny bit bitter.

Wash the chopped veggies 2-3 times to get all the dirt (and sometimes bugs, aka extra protein) out. Meanwhile, you can get ready for the next step by boiling some water in a pot or wok on a medium to high fire. Pour in a generous amount of cooking oil into the water, which will give the veggies a nice coat when they're cooking.

 Once that's bubbling hot, toss in the veggies. Be sure to keep stirring them around the pot to let all of them cook. These veggies will cook very fast, so keep stirring for 35-50 seconds, depending on how crunchy you prefer them to be. If you see some of them start to turn yellow, turn off the fire and take them out of the water because they'll be overcooked!

 Aren't they pretty? Now for the finishing touch... a little sauce...


Fish Sauce! If you haven't tried this before, it's a Vietnamese sauce that's very salty. Because of that, just put a splash over the veggies, and you are good to go! Fast, healthy, and tasty. My kind of meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment