Friday, May 14, 2010

Hearthstone Back to Hometown

I work with the elderly--those who are still living independently to those who live day to day with dementia. This wasn't something I sought out to do. It certainly wasn't what I had in mind while I sat through classes like Interactive Media and Romantic Movement in English Lit. Never in my life had I ever imagined I would be doing anything like this. Heck, I hardly knew what I wanted to do with my life and how I was gonna go about doing it, so how was I going to take care of people who have already established who they are and have years of experiences under their belt? To be honest, I would not have the strength to do what I need to do for these people if it were not for God. He certainly knew what's up. Obviously there are times when I do need a break away from work, but the bottom line is: I enjoy helping the elderly.


Holidays are a fun time around work because a lot of family members come to visit and celebrate. Everyone gathers in a large room, the atmosphere is warm, jovial and festive, the food is abundant, and everyone has a smile for someone. I absolutely enjoy the family atmosphere. And of course the cooks always fix us up a big plate of something. That always puts a smile on my face.

Assisting with the day to day things for a population who has grown up in a past that I've only read about in history books, I've learned a lot of things that I didn't growing up in L.A. For one thing, relationships are a lot more meaningful and beyond the superficial. In general, there is a kindness here and a genuine touch in conversation, cry and laughter, and people's concerns for others. All of this confirms what I contemplated when I was a teenager, that our purpose in life is to do what we can to make life better for others. And from those actions spring forth a source of true joy, love, and happiness that gives meaning to our own lives. In this way, we build a friendship that enriches both our lives.

I've also realized the importance of stuff. Not stuff like how we tend to think of nowadays -- Coach bags, MAC makeup, Ed Hardy hats, etc. But objects that have great sentimental meaning that links us to the heart of our memories. I've discovered how powerful "stuff" can be mostly when working with people with dementia, particularly things and objects from one's past. When your perception and understanding of who you are and what your life is, is linked to how long your memory can hold things before it resets to a nearly blank slate again, important objects can bring back familiar images and feelings in a person. But of course, what's more important that a person's stuff is the relationship you build with them. You've heard of the saying People may not always remember the things you say or do, but they will always remember the way you make them feel.

If anything, I've learned how fleeting life can be. So I'm trying to apply all of these things into my life with my fiancee. As a woman, it is one of my responsibilities to bring the touch of a home to a house. For one thing, since I've discovered the joy of flowers and how they link to the passing seasons, I've tried to bring that touch of femininity to our own home so that both my fiancee and I may enjoy it.

More than anything, working with the seniors here, as they come and as they go, they have shown me what I can do to enrich my life, my relationships, and my home. The old adage is true -- give like you have nothing to lose and what you get back is tenfold. When I first started working this job, it was difficult because I had to step beyond my comfort zone and do things that I've never done before. I've never really had much self-confidence, and sometimes I still don't, but I had to fake like I did. Then God worked his mojo and showed me that I really can do this and he's shown me numerous things that has enriched my life. I've learned to trust in God because He knows what He's doing even though I don't see the overall picture that is my life.

Enjoy every moment you can because life is short. Learn to balance work and play, family and friends. Don't burn yourself out on things that don't really matter because then you won't have any energy for the people and the things that do matter. Do as much as you can while you can because now you have the strength and the ability to do the things you still want to do. Just go out there and do them. Make memories. As we get older, our friends and family will pass, but their memories will live on with us. Our interactions with family, friends, and people in general shape who we are. Who we are and what we do ripples far into the future, moreso than we, at our young age, can dare to think sometimes.



I've learned that happiness is an attitude. It is perspective, a frame of mind, not an emotional state we're supposed to be waiting around for. While I still feel the tug of passions trying to steer me into other directions, I am going to make the most of where I am at this juncture in life.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

No comments:

Post a Comment